Tajweed Course for beginner Part-20
Makharij al Huruf Or Articulation Points part 1 مخــارج الحـروف الجزء الأول
The Makhaarij of the Letters ( ARTICULATION POINTS ) مخــارج الحـروف
Makhaarij is the plural of makhraj.
It is the place of emitting the letter when pronouncing it that differentiates that specific letter from other letters.
The correct position of the organs of speech in order to produce a letter so that it can be differentiated from others.
This is equally so whether the letter is a consonant or a vowel.
Being able to recite the letters correctly is the foundation of Tajweed, and this is achieved by knowing where the sound originates. This can then help in practising the pronunciation of the letters correctly.
The diagram below gives a snapshot of where each letter originates :
- Makhaarij must be used hand in hand w ith sifa (characteristics of the letter) in order to pronounce the letter completely and correctly, as the Makhraj provides the origin and the Sifa provides extra information required to pronounce the letter properly.
- To achieve the correct makhraj of a letter, practise via placing a sukoon ( ) on it, and precede it with an alif / hamzah with a kasrah ( )
- There are 5 main categories of Makhaarij (or Five major areas of the human body are used to pronounce different letters.)
- These Five major area divided into 17 different articulation points to pronounce the 28 original letters and the Madd letters.
There are Five major five Makhaarj :
- Al Jawf ( The oral cavity ) الجوف
- Al Halq ( The throat ) الحلق
- Al Lissaan ( The tongue ) اللسان
- Ash-shafatain ( The lips ) الشفتان
- Al Khayshoom ( The nasal cavity ) الخيشوم
TYPES OF ARTICULATION POINTS :
- SPECIFIC ARTICULATION POINT : Relies on specific place of the areas of the tongue, throat or lips.
- APPROXIMATE ARTICULATION POINT: Does not rely on specific place of the areas of the -tongue, throat or lips . The approximate articulation point is applied to the lengthened letters that come from the empty space in the mouth and throat.
Imam Ash-Shatibi and Sibaway said there are 16 points of articulation, and did not count the Jauf as a point of articulation.
Still other scholars of Arabic language said there are 14 points of articulation, as they did not count the Jauf, and were of the opinion that ر ن ل share the same makhraj.
Will be continued..
Put any question in comment
READ MORE POSTS: