–Tafkheem and Tarqeeq Part-1 التــفــخــيـــم والتــرقــيــق الجزء الأول
We can divided Arabic letters into three categories as to Tafkheem and Tarqeeq:
1-Letters that always have tafkheem: it will be seven letters in the group ( خص ضغط قظ )
2-Letters that have tafkheem sometimes and tarqeeq other times :
- The lengthened alif . ( ا )
- Laam (ل )in the Glorious name of Allah . اللهم – الله
- Raa (راء) .
3-The Letters always have tarqeeq will be the remain of the Arabic alphabet.
Definition of Tafkheem (Heavy ):
Linguistic Definition: To Fatten or heaviness.
Applied Definition in Tajweed: Technically, it is the thickness/fullness which fills the mouth with the pronunciation of certain letters.
Heavy Letters ( خص ضغط قظ )
Those that are sometimes heavy and sometimes light: Laam, Ra, Alif Maddiyyah, and the sound of ghunna.
These ( 7 )letters are known as ( ‘isti’laa’ ) حروف الاستعلاء . or Elevation is a characteristic of these letters where the tongue is raised to the roof of the mouth when the letter is pronounced.
Degrees of Tafkheem:
- First Degree: A heavy letter with a fatha and an alif following the fatha.
- Second Degree: A heavy letter with a fatha.
- Third Degree: A heavy letter with a dhamma.
- Fourth Degree: A heavy letter with a kasra.
- Fifth Degree: A heavy letter with a sukoon.
Definition of Tarqeeq:
Linguistic Definition: Tarqeeq literally means to make something thin.
Applied Definition in Tajweed: Technically, it is the thinness (flatness) found in the mouth while pronouncing some letters.
Letters that always have Tarqeeq (light letters) This group consists of the rest of the Arabic alphabet.