– QUALITIES OF LETTERS OR SIFAAT AL HUROOF PART -3 صفات الحروف الجزء الرابع
Without Opposites Permanent Qualities الصفات اللازمة غير المتضادة
4-Inhiraaf (inclined sound) الانحراف
- Definition: the leaning of the tongue away from its makhraj until it nears another makhraj.
- This quality is found in 2 letters and are called munharifah .
- This quality is found in only the following two letters: ( ل ر )
- Therefore, the (ل ) is pronounced with an inclination towards the makhraj of the (ر ) and vice versa.
This is more of a caution than a rule
- letter ( لام ) The tip of the tongue sticks at the articulation point of the ( لام )
Letter راء sticks at the left and right of the very tip to the second part of the articulation point ie. the gums of the two front teeth.
Practice exercise of Inhiraaf:
5-Takreer (to repeat) التكرير
- Definition: the quality of takreer is to pronounce in a repeated manner.
- The quality of takreer is found in one letter and it is called mukarrarah.
- Therefore, while the ( ر ) is being pronounced from its makhraj, naturally the tongue makes a slight vibration producing a repeated sound (i.e. rolling of the tongue). Care must be taken to avoid exaggeration of the vibration, otherwise instead of a single there may be 2 ( ر ) or instead of a double (mushaddad ),there may be many ( ر ).
This is more of a caution than a rule – takreer should be avoided
Practice exercise of Istitaalah:
6-Tafash-shee (spreading sound) التفشى
- Definition: to pronounce a letter with the filling of the mouth with air allowing the sound to spread greatly over the mouth.
- The quality o tafash-shee is found in the letter ( ش ) and it is called mutafash-shiyah.
- This is actually a natural characteristic of the ( ش ) , and the filling of the mouth with air applies whatever the harakaat.
- However, it is stronger when it carries a sukoon .
Practice exercise of Tafash-shee :
5-Istitaalah – ( الأستطالة)
- Definition: to pronounce a letter with the filling of the mouth
- it is the prolongation of the sound throughout its makhraj; from its beginning till the end.
- This is found only in the status of Sukoon or Shaddah for the letter: ( ض ).